Thursday, April 26, 2012

Baked Ziti

So I knew I was going to have a house full of people last night. And as hostess with plans dropped in her lap at the last minute, of course my first thought was "Oh my! What am I going to feed all these people?" Enter my stand by: Baked Ziti. With one of these, a load of garlic bread, and a salad you have a meal that is sure to please and feed 8-10 people easily. 


Last night after a vote was cast the decision was that everyone wanted it extra cheesy. This recipe is going to be the normal version but to go extra cheesy just use some extra provolone. 









You will need: 
1 pound hamburger meat, cooked. 
1 box Ziti - al dente 
1 large (2 lbs) jar spaghetti sauce (or 2 regular size jars) 
12 slices provolone 
1 large bag (16 oz) shredded mozzarella 
Handful of shredded cheddar
Handful of shredded parmesan 
Minced garlic 
Spices to taste (oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper)


Let me stop here and say you can add any veggies you want, onions, peppers, mushrooms would all be wonderful, but with my family it's easier to leave them out because none of us like the same thing. 


Preheat your oven to 350. 


Cook your hamburger meat, and start the water to boil for the noodles. When the meat is done add the sauce and about 2 tbs of minced garlic. You can also add any spices you want, like if you were to be making a spaghetti. 




Finish the noodles to al dente, or just beyond al dente but not completely tender. Take a 9x13 and give it a thin wipe of butter/margarine. 



Next comes the layers. And let me apologize because I got caught up with so many people in the house I forgot to take pictures of the first layer. So the pictures start on the second layer. First lay down half the ziti. 



Then lay down 6 slices of provolone, if you want an extra cheesy ziti which is favorite in my household, add some extra provolone in there. 



Then half the meat sauce topped with half the bag of mozzarella. 




Repeat all the steps for a second layer. Throw a handful of cheddar on top, not too much it compliments, it's not the main cheese. Then throw a handful of shredded Parmesan. Please I beg of you, don't use the powdered stuff! Top it off with some more spices of your choosing, I do some onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano. 


Pop it in the oven, uncovered, at 350 for about 30 mins, or until the cheese is melted and sauce starts to bubble up the side. 




Instant family favorite is sitting right there. I like to serve it with garlic bread and a caesar salad.



I promise you, it's good, and it feeds a crowd in a jiffy with the least amount of stress! If I were Michelle Duggar from 19 kids and counting, this is all they would ever be eating. Hope you all try it! 

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment, got me to discover you.
    I am following you now with gfc, would be honored if you would like to follow back, but no hard feelings if not :-)
    love
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baked ziti, and somethings that feeds a crowd, that's good and easy. So right up my alley. I didn't have dinner tonight, so I could really go for a piece right now! Thanks for sharing you white creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making my stomach rumble! This looks delicious... Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Crafting!

Megan@ Whimsically Homemade