Saturday, March 31, 2012

Homemade Bird Feeder

Okay! First of all let me apologize about how long it's been since a blog post. Things have been super crazy because I got sick. I'm scheduled to go in for surgery next week, so I've been running around to all these doctor appointments. Add family drama into the mix and well I just haven't had the energy to do anything. Sorry!

I also want to thank everyone that is following us. You guys are great. Thanks for the comments and all the encouragement. You have no idea how much that means to me right now.

Now, with that said...

Here is my most recent project. A homemade bird feeder. Now, I'm not sure how I got this idea. It just came me. I knew I wanted to make one because my Grandmother was suppose to come down and visit in April. She likes to watch the birds and I thought this project would be a perfect surprise for her. Alas, plans fell through and she won't be here until sometime in September or October. Anyway, it's still a nice project and one I wanted to share with you guys. this project definitely leaves a lot of room for creativity, so just go with it.









Supplies:




1 saucer (big enough were a two liter bottle can sit on it and there is extra plate around it)
1 two liter coke bottle with cap
E 6000 glue
exact-o knife
scissors (not pictured
spray paint (optional in whatever color you want. Also not pictured.)
string

Instructions:


1. Cut the bottom off the two liter bottle. How far up you want to cut it is all on you. Of course the further up you cut the less bird feed it's going to hold. You can just throw away the bottom part cause we aren't going to use that at all. Now is probably a good time to go ahead and spray paint your bottle. I decided at the last minute when everything was already attached to spray mine and it was a pain and a half. You might want to prime your bottle first and then spray paint it or decorate it however you want.


2. Now if i had spray painted this first it would be a heck of a lot easier to see. But did I do that...no. I wanted everything to be super duper hard apparently. If you can make out the cut I made good job! You should win a prize!It was supposed to be shaped like a doorway but turned into me just hacking away at the bottom of the bottle. It doesn't really have to be perfect since it's only bird feed that's going to come out of these doorways, but one aims to be perfect. You need to cut four of these into the bottom.


3. Now just take you E-6000 and go along the edges of your bottle and then glue down the bottle to the center of the plate. Now you just have to wait like a bajillon hours for it to dry before you can do anything else. Make sure that it's like concrete dry because if you start working with it before time it's going to pop off of the plate.


4. Now for another round of Spot the Invisible Hole!!! Here's a hint. It's at the top of the bottle. To make this little hole just take your exact-o knife and kinda twist it into the bottle. You'll need to do that to the opposite side of the bottle too.


5. Now just take some string and thread it though the holes and tie them together at the top. Make sure you string is long enough to where you can hang it on whatever it you are hanging your bird feeder on.



TA DA!!!! Finished product. And let me tell you something, it was not easy getting a picture of  these birds on my bird feeder. I watched them for like...an hour to get the perfect picture. Still wasn't too impressed with the one I got, but eh we can't be perfect all the time.








7 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! You are very clever!!

    Thanks for stopping by and visiting Natasha in Oz! It is so nice to meet you. I'm now following you and look forward to reading more of your blog.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! And so pretty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for stopping by and thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great feeder!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be so fun. The kids would love to watch for the birds to come. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!!!
    I hope you will stop by tomorrow and link up another great project

    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/

    Claire xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your bird feeder idea, too! Thanks for visiting me at Vanessa's Values.

    Vanessa
    vanessasvalues.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Happy Crafting!

Megan@ Whimsically Homemade